Saturday, June 12, 2010

Quiltsworks Northwest, Bellevue, WA

I had a great time in Seattle. My class was filled with very creative students who all pushed themselves to try new stitches and work with new textural fabrics.
I was in heaven as Quiltworks Northwest is also a bead store and they have an incredible selection of beads for embellishment. So as you can imagine I also had the opportunity to buy some fun stuff for my stash.
Some students added more textures to the background piece before we layered the leaves, birds, berries and branches.
This leaf is embellished with a fly stitch using seagrass and bullions using a Valdani perle cotton. These are two of my favorite threads. These berries are embellished with a variegated Valdani thread which completely changes the look using a fly stitch and then below using a combination of the fly stitch and bullion knots.
Is this not fun using our pom pom ribbon it adds such texture to the wool.
As you can see even though all the students started with a similar background each piece is starting to take on its own journey.
Thanks so much to Stacie, Susan and Chardel for making me feel so welcome and taking such good care of me.
Keep stitching
Sue

5 comments:

  1. I would never have made the pom-pon ribbon call, and here is this gorgeous unfolding fern - wonderful!! And the beads. Beads. Beads. The fly stitch is interesting. My favorite is always the layering of textures and colors. Again, thank you so much for posting all of this. My eyes are learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Everything looks so beautiful and the colors are vibrant and have lots of texture.. Must have been fun seeing all the different finishes.
    Maggey

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not worked with wool. This sure makes me want to give it a go!!! so beautiful! I love the 3 dim. and texture look.
    I'm having a GIVEAWAY!~ends tonite at midnite.
    A signed copy of CITY QUILTS if you can get over...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic!I love seeing all the different effects created with the beads and thread. Where do you get the pom pom trim?

    ReplyDelete